Dr. Mohamed Karbal is an attorney and Libyan lawyer licensed to practice law in New York, Washington D.C. and Libya. He is the founder and Managing Partner of Karbal & Co, a law firm with offices in Washington D.C., Libya and Turkey.
With over 40 years of experience, Dr. Karbal has practiced law in both the public and private sectors specializing in Libyan law, human rights law, oil & gas, maritime, transportation and international trade. As a Libyan lawyer, Dr. Karbal frequently serves as an expert witness on Libyan law in the arbitration centers and courts in the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Switzerland.
Expert on Libyan and Middle Eastern Laws
Dr. Mohamed Karbal has extensive experience on Libyan and Middle Eastern laws, especially the Arab Gulf States such the United Arab Emirates and Qatar. He has provided legal advice to international entities seeking advice on issues of oil and gas law, commercial law, construction, investment, and maritime law.
Dr. Karbal’s notable experience includes:
- Served as expert legal witness for the plaintiff, Abdul Hakim Belhaj for Belhaj v. Straw and others
- Advised on multiple cases involving bilateral investment treaty disputes which were tried before the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, France and Geneva, Switzerland where the value of each case exceeded USD 300 million;
- Served as expert legal witness on Libyan maritime law before the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of New York.
Human Rights Laws
Dr. Mohamed Karbal, served as an expert legal witness on Libyan law for the case Belhadj and another V. Straw and Others;
Dr. Karbal is a registered arbitrator who has served as an Arbitrator and has represented multinational clients before arbitration panels in London, Abu Dhabi, and Dubai. His experience in arbitration law includes contentious matters for maritime law, oil & gas, Libyan law and construction law.
Legislation drafting and public sector consultancy
While working in the public and private sector, Dr. Karbal drafted legislation for different industries which is still enforced today. maritime and transportation industry in Abu Dhabi, which is still enforced today. Notable experience includes:
- Reviewing and redrafting the Abu Dhabi Waterways Act in English and Arabic to ensure it complies with MARPOL.
- Drafting the public transportation laws as the Head of Legal of the Abu Dhabi Department of Transport.
- As the first Legal Counsel of the Abu Dhabi Health Authority, Dr. Karbal assisted in drafting the Abu Dhabi medical insurance law.
Transactional Law Experience
Through his position as Managing Partner of the international law firm, Karbal & Co, Dr. Karbal negotiates, drafts and overseas cross-border transactions, including the sale of oil & gas products and bi-products, equipment for the oil & gas industry, and precious metals. The transactions span several continents and regions, including MENA and South-East Asia.
As a maritime law firm, Dr. Karbal has represented Karbal & Co for international transactions in the maritime industry.
Dr. Karbal received a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) from the University of Missouri-Columbia, Missouri, USA, a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Maritime Law from the University College London, (UCL), a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Law from Indiana University, Indiana, USA and a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from the University of Benghazi, Libya. Dr. Karbal holds a Certificate in Maritime Dispute Resolution and Arbitration from Lloyd’s Maritime Academy.