Dr. Mohamed Karbal
Attorney at Law
Attorney at law in Libya, New York and Washington D.C.
Expert on the laws of Libya & Middle East
Dr. Karbal is an arbitrator and attorney licensed to practice law in New York, Washington D.C., and Libya. He is the founder and Managing Partner of Karbal & Co, a leading Libyan law firm with offices in Washington D.C., Libya and Istanbul, Turkey. Dr. Karbal also founded Karbal & Co Risk Consultancy, a legal & risk management consultancy with offices in Malta offering risk consultancy services on the laws of Libya.
Dr. Karbal addresses the National Council on US Arab Relations in Washington D.C. 2017 on the Current Libyan Situation.
Experience – As a Libyan Attorney
With over 40 years of experience, Dr. Karbal has practiced law in both the public and private domain in areas with a specialty in human rights issues in Libya, oil & gas, renewable energy, maritime, and international trade. As a Libyan lawyer, Dr. Karbal frequently serves as a legal expert witness on Libyan laws before courts and arbitration centers in the United States of America and the United Kingdom.
The experience includes:
- Dr. Mohamed Karbal, served as an expert legal witness on Libyan law before the Supreme Court of England for Abdul Hakim Belhadj for the case Belhaj and another V. Straw and Others;
- Dr. Mohamed Karbal served as an expert witness on laws of libya for Tekfen-TML Joint Venture v. Man-made River
- Advised on multiple cases involving bilateral investment treaty disputes which were tried before the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, France and Geneva, Switzerland where the value of each case exceeded USD 300 million;
- Served as an expert legal witness on Libyan maritime (shipping) law before the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of New York.
Dr. Karbal has extensive experience in drafting legislation in the UAE, including “Waterways Management Regulations for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi” in order to comply with international standards, transportation laws and health care laws of Abu Dhabi.
Legal Advisory Services on the laws of Libya:
- Advises on national oil companies in multiple jurisdictions on the laws of oil& gas and shipping matters relating to Libyan and UAE law
- Advised on high profile arrests of ships in Libyan waters
- Dr. Karbal serves as a sole arbitrator for construction claims which was held before Abu Dhabi Commercial Conciliation & Arbitration Center (ADCCA).
Client Testimonials – Libyan Maritime Lawyer
“I was fortunate to work with [Dr. Karbal] (using him as an expert witness on matters of Libyan law) in a large maritime case in Federal Court in New York. Dr. Karbal is a pleasure to work with; he is intelligent, diligent and thoughtful. His knowledge and understanding of Libyan law and maritime matters is impressive, and his analysis of the issues we dealt with in that context was thorough and insightful. . . Finally, I have found Dr. Karbal to be of the highest moral character on laws of Libya.”
“We engaged Dr. Karbal as an expert witness on Libyan maritime law and practice. He was pleasant to work with, gave prompt and incisive advice, and stood up well to hours of aggressive questioning at deposition. We would not hesitate to engage him again if the need arises.”
For more articles on Libyan laws, please visit our website Karbal & Co
- Human Rights in Libya: During and After GaddafiViolations of human rights are committed by all countries with varying degrees of severity. Most states, especially third-world countries, such as Libya, openly violate human rights principles against their citizens without apologizing. Other countries, such as the U.S. and Britain, as will be demonstrated in this article, violate their human rights laws but mainly againstContinue reading “Human Rights in Libya: During and After Gaddafi”
- Libya’s New Financial Regulatory Agency: Can it Boost Trading in LibyaLibya’s New Financial Regulatory Agency’s aim to diversify its economic activity by strengthening its financial sector and encouraging investments may prove a success, as the creation of a new financial regulatory agency may restore investor confidence and increase liquidity on the Libyan Stock Market (LSM). Libya’s New Financial Regulatory Agency History of the Libyan StockContinue reading “Libya’s New Financial Regulatory Agency: Can it Boost Trading in Libya”
- The Latest Legal Row Over Libyan Oil -Laws Of LibyaThe Latest Legal Row over Libyan Oil: PC Clashes with NOC The Latest Legal Row Over Libyan Oil -Laws Of Libya By Dr. Mohamed Karbal Leading Libyan Lawyer Since the fall of Gaddafi in 2011, the Libyan oil industry has suffered a loss through the closure of its oil ports and the fall in oilContinue reading “The Latest Legal Row Over Libyan Oil -Laws Of Libya”
Telephone: +(365) 21 378967
Street Address: Tripoli Tower, Suite 16316th Floor, Section No.1
Country: Tripoli, Libya
Google Map Location: Click Here